Saturday, April 11, 2020

Wallace Station Deli and Bakery - Midway, Kentucky

My mom and dad came on today’s adventure with me but we practice social distancing by driving separately, staying our distance, etc. We traveled up to Frankfort for a site seeing trip. I do travel to Frankfort often but my parents hadn’t been or hadn’t been in such a long time that I got my tour guide fix in by taking them around the town. We started off in the Frankfort cemetery with, in my opinion, the best view of the Capitol from Daniel Boone‘s grave site. We then walked around the Capitol, Floral Clock (minus the flowers), and the Governor’s Mansion.







Before heading to our next stop we spent way too much time trying to find a bathroom (Think about it, where do you go when everything is closed? You would think gas stations but a lot of them have closed their bathrooms, including the three that we stopped at in Frankfort. Luckily we found one in Kroger!) We spent a little time in Wilson’s Nursery which is absolutely wonderful and can’t help but put you in a good mood.
The late lunch spot was something I’ve been looking forward to since last summer, Wallace Station Deli and Bakery in Midway, Kentucky. One of my former VAMPY (gifted summer camp) students family owns this and several other restaurants around this part of Kentucky and I had told her that I would definitely come and visit, although I didn’t except it to be under these circumstances. I went with the Famous Big Brown Burger which is a burger griddled on the bun, with ham, bacon, tomato and white Cheddar Mornay. Think about it being a cross between a great hamburger and a Kentucky Hot Brown. I have a hard time saying something is the best thing I’ve ever eaten but I can’t name a better burger that I’ve tasted. Wallace Station has appeared on “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” and Guy Fieri himself named The Big Brown one of his Top 5 burgers; it is that good!


We wanted some sort of dessert to finish and we actually just drove a little ways up the road to Midway Bakery, owned by the same family, for some peanut butter cookies the size of your face. If you visit the Frankfort or Lexington area you must stop by this restaurant! I can’t wait for this to be all over and go back and try one of the other famous Ouita Michel Restaurants! Today was a great day exploring Kentucky and eating excellent food, even if it is still through social distancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment