Saturday, April 11, 2020

Old Hickory - Owensboro, Kentucky

Today’s travels take me to the city of Owensboro, Kentucky where I’m going to have some BBQ but not at where you may initially think. I’ve had BBQ several times at Moonlite and it is good but I’ve always heard that if you want to go to the best in town then you should try Old Hickory BBQ. Their website says, “It’s where local folks bring visitors for Owensboro’s best BBQ.”

A little history about the restaurant from their website states, “In 1918, Charles "Pappy" Foreman, an Owensboro blacksmith, put aside the tools of his trade and began barbecuing mutton on a pit located at 25th and Frederica. More than 80 years later, the Foreman barbecuing tradition thrives into the sixth generation. Named Old Hickory in 1954, our dedication to providing the Owensboro area with the finest quality mutton, pork, pork ribs, beef, ham, chicken and various side dishes has never slackened. This has been possible only by keeping one thing in mind over the years: To produce consistently first-rate barbecue, there can be neither shortcuts nor compromise.”
I decided to eat my lunch parked by the Riverwalk along the Ohio River to have a gorgeous view while eating. I need to put a disclaimer out right now that I’m not the biggest BBQ fan in the world and would never really request it out of the blue. With that being said, this was some great BBQ! I picked the combination plate with Pork Ribs, Turkey, and chopped mutton with potato salad and green beans for the sides and banana pudding for dessert.
I only picked mutton because that is what started them as a restaurant and thought I’d give it a try even though I’ve tasted it before and didn’t care for it. It had a unique taste that wasn’t bad (I ate most of it) but it’s just not my cup of tea. Now the pork ribs are another story because I couldn’t have cleaned those bones better if I’d tried, they were so darn good and the turkey had a great taste too. The sides were phenomenal and I can see why people might go there for just a vegetable plate. I had to try the banana pudding because ever since I had my first bite of banana pudding at Central BBQ in Memphis pudding and BBQ just go together. This pudding was delicious but it doesn’t quite live up the the Holy Grail of Banana puddings found in Memphis. I would definitely recommend coming to Owensboro and enjoying Old Hickory followed by a little stroll on the Riverwalk to burn all of those calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment