Saturday, April 11, 2020

Taco Luchador - Louisville, Kentucky

So today I knew I was going to Louisville but what to eat was the big question. So many of you all offered up recommendations but I could only pick one this trip. I decided to make my way to Taco Luchador Highlands owned and operated by the Martinez cousins who also own Havana Rumba, along with a few other restaurants in the Louisville area. There are several of these Taco Luchador restaurants in Louisville but I went to the one on Baxter Street.

As I was taking the picture of the outside of the building, I looked back at the picture and it showed the picture was taken in Cherokee Triangle. To be honest, I had never heard of Cherokee Triangle in Louisville except I had read about it earlier today. Today is the 95th anniversary of the publication of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, April 10, 1925. (Stay with me, I promise there is a reason for mentioning this) In the post I read this morning it mentioned how Louisville, Kentucky inspired some of the scenes from the book. The post read, “The object of Jay’s endless wooing, Daisy, is described as a belle of Louisville. It has been a widely held belief that Daisy’s home in the novel was located near Cherokee Triangle in Louisville and has caused endless speculation about Fitzgerald’s time rubbing elbows with Louisville’s privileged class on his visits.” How crazy is it that I’ve never heard about Cherokee Triangle before today and then I read about it and just happen to be in the area on the same day.
I decided to splurge by starting with homemade tortilla chips and queso (I didn’t take a picture of this because I was running out of room to lay everything out in my car and I was just eating them out of the bag). My entree was a Tetanica Torta (think sandwich) which included grilled chicken breast, chipotle, refried black beans, Oaxaca cheese, crema, tomatoes, pickled jalapeno, and avocado. This sandwich was excellent with a good hint of spice. The sandwich was so huge that half of it will be leftovers for supper tonight. I was added a side of Elote Callejero which is caramelized corn-on-the-cob smothered with mayo, mexican spices, and cotija cheese. This was so good and I’m glad I ordered it although I didn’t realize there would be cilantro sprinkled on it (I’m one of those people where cilantro taste like soap, look it up) but once I picked it off, it was perfect! You could have known that this was a good meal if I had taken a picture of myself since I had it all over my face, hands, clothes, and car before it was all over.
The trip was highlighted by getting to stop by and see some good friends, Ben, Sophie, and James, from a distance. It was so good to catch up and just talk to someone looking them in the face and not at their face through a screen. We talked about food, Covid, jobs, the church, politics, and we even threw in a little history throughout. Thanks for letting me stop by and have human interaction for a bit!
I’ll end today with the last sentence of The Great Gatsby to provide you with a moment to ponder life.
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

No comments:

Post a Comment